Silicone hoses are used in different applications like vehicles, aquariums, dairy farms, etc. Silicon is a durable material that lasts for a long time and is perfect for a wide variety of applications.
The size of the silicon hose must be correct for getting the best results in any application. If you need to cut a silicone hose, you must take precautions and follow the process meticulously. The current article provides insights into how to cut a silicon hose and the precautions to be taken for the same.
Process for Cutting a Silicone Hose
You should follow the below-mentioned steps for cutting a silicon hose correctly:
- Use a measuring tape to determine the exact length of the hose you need for your application. Mark the measurement on the silicon hose with a permanent marker.
- You will need a hose clamp of a suitable diameter to fit around the silicon hose for cutting it. Place the clamp around the hose at the position where you want to cut it. Ensure the clamp is securely tightened on the hose before cutting it. The clamp should not be too tight, or it can distort the shape of the silicone hose.
- Take a sharp knife for cutting the silicone hose. Make an incision on the silicon hose from where you want to cut it by placing the knife blade away from you. Continue to cut along the edge of the clamp slowly and carefully.
- Stop before you reach the uneven edge of the clamp. Loosen the clamp, rotate it, and re-tighten it around the hose. Continue cutting the silicone hose.
- Once you have cut the entire length of the silicon hose, remove the clamp and clean the mark made by the permanent marker by wiping it with alcohol.
Precautions for Cutting a Silicone Hose
When cutting a silicon hose, do not roll it as you can cut your fingers. It is important to use the right clamp for cleanly and evenly cutting a silicon hose. You must always use a very sharp knife to get a clean cut. Since the knife is very sharp, you should be cautious and point the blade away from you during cutting the hose.
You should never try to cut a silicon hose using a hacksaw or any other blade that has teeth as it will give you frayed ends that is not desirable. You should also wear protective gloves while cutting a silicon hose.