Introduction: Why to Use Paint on Wheels?
Wheel paints are aerosol paints which are specially designed for painting your alloy wheels.
Painting the wheels is one of the most affordable and effective ways of refurbishing it and making it look like new.
Painting your wheels revitalizes the alloy’s surface and the removes small imperfections in the wheel.
Minor imperfections and issues like chips can be greatly minimized using good quality wheel paint.
In addition to hiding the existing damages, wheel paints can also protect your alloy wheels from any future damages like corrosion, rust, and damages due to driving on harsh terrain or poor roads.
Wheel paint can complement not only your wheels but can enhance the overall look of the entire car along with other cosmetic changes.
The current article provides a detailed insight into a different type of wheel paints and which is best for your car.
It also provides you details on the process of painting your wheels and the necessary precautions which you must take to paint them safely.
Best Paints to Use on Your Alloy Wheels
The market is flooded with different types of alloy wheel paints and hence, finding the best one for your wheels can be difficult. Some of the best wheel paints for your car are detailed below:
Dupli Color High-Performance Wheel Paint
The Dupli color high-performance wheel paint is durable and can withstand tough conditions without fading away or losing its gloss. It is available in different finishes which provides you a wider option to choose from.
This paint dries faster than most other wheel paints in the market, which allows you to complete the paint job faster. It is also a versatile paint which works equally effectively on steel, aluminum, or plastic hubcaps.
It protects your alloy wheels from wear and tear due to continuous brake dust and heat during usage. The paint, however, needs an extra protective coat on the top for best results.
This is, without doubt, one of the best wheel paints available in the market.
The Rust-Oleum wheel paint comes in three different colors which provide you a wider choice. It can be applied on steel, aluminum, or plastic hubcaps and hence, the paint is highly versatile.
Applying this paint on the wheels is very simple and you can do it on your own. This helps you to save cost on getting your wheels painted from experts.
The Rust-Oleum alloy wheel paint has been specially designed to protect your costly wheels from rusting and related damages. This wheel paint will also last for long if maintained properly.
This paint provides you the best value for money and can make your old wheels come back to life and look almost new.
The VHT SP 187 wheel paint is a premium product and provides excellent visual aesthetics to your alloy wheels after painting.
VHT paints are famous for producing paints that can resist high temperatures and work perfectly in such conditions. This paint also provides excellent protection to your wheels against brake dust, debris, etc. to ensure their longevity. It also protects your wheels very effectively against rust and corrosion.
The paint works great with all types of wheels. Applying this paint is very easy and you can get a professional like finish for your wheels. The paint is also durable and can easily last for many years.
The only drawback of VHT SP 187 wheel paint is that it is relatively costlier than other paints, but the quality and durability justify the cost.
Valspar is one of the most popular and trusted names in the wheel paint market.
The Valspar PlastiKote wheel paints come in four different colors. It provides very good protection to your alloy wheels against scratches and abrasions.
It is also known to protect the wheels from corrosion and rusting which helps to improve the wheel’s lifespan.
This paint is both versatile and durable and works well on alloy wheels of all types.
The application process of this paint is very convenient and you can finish the painting job quickly. You get exceptional finishing for your wheels after painting them with this paint.
Performix Plasti Dip Aerosol Spray- Black
When it comes to painting alloy wheels, black is one of the most widely preferred and used colors.
Performix Plasti Dip aerosol paint is one of the most popular wheel paints in the market.
It comes with four different cans and if you use it properly, then it can paint your four rims which are under 21-inches in diameter. It is very competitively priced at $38.
If you are planning to paint wheels on a truck or heavier vehicle then you may need to purchase two cans of this paint.
The black color of this paint looks great and it gives your wheels an unmatched gloss which will last for years. It bonds very well with the rims when painted which makes the paint more durable.
Considerations Before Buying Wheel Paint
When buying the best wheel paints, you should know the basic features of these paints and assess them during the buying process. You can consider the following while buying wheel paints:
- Colors: Wheel paints come in different colors. You should buy the color which suits your wheel and your preference. Generally, silver and black are the most popular and widely used spray paints, but you can also experiment with other bright and bold colors to give a sporty look to your wheels and cars.
- Finish: Wheel paints with different finishing are available in the market. You can choose wheel paints depending on the choice of your finishing like matte, satin, or high-gloss, etc. You can choose paints which provide a contrasting finish to your wheels with the car.
- Versatility: You can find wheel paints which can be used for painting other parts of your car also. You can paint hubcaps and other metal accessories in your car with such paints. You can choose such versatile paints when you want to not only paint your alloy wheels but also give a makeover to other parts of the car too.
- Brand: The market for wheel paint has expanded rapidly. There are many new brands that have come up. However, to be safer, it is always recommended to buy wheel paints from a reputed and tested brand. This will ensure that you get the best quality wheel paint which will last longer and provide excellent finishing.
- Value for Money: You should consider the price of the wheel paint and the value for money it gives you. You can find wheel paints ranging from $5-$40 in the market for a 12-ounce can. Many paints are available in multiple cans or combo cans which provide you greater value for money.
Process of Painting the Wheels
The detailed process for painting your alloy wheels is discussed below:
Decide an Ideal Painting Location
Though it may not seem so, painting location plays an important role in getting the desired quality and finish on the wheels.
You should select a well-ventilated place for painting your wheels.
It should be free from any kind of dust and should be protected from the breeze also.
If it is not a breezy day, then you can paint your wheels outside the garage also on the driveway or grass.
Remove the Wheels from the Vehicle
Before painting your alloy wheels, you should ensure to remove them from the vehicle.
Painting the wheels without removing them can not only degrade the final finishing of the wheel, but it can damage the body paint of your vehicle also.
Painting the wheels by removing them will help you to get better and even coverage of paint on the wheels and provide you the excellent end result.
Clean the Wheels
Cleaning the wheels is essential before painting them.
You can use good quality shampoo or degreaser for cleaning the wheels. You should apply the cleaner thoroughly on the wheel surface with special emphasis on applying it between the spokes.
Once done, you can rinse the wheels properly with water ensuring that all the dirt is removed. You should dry the wheels using a clean and soft microfiber cloth.
Remove Paint Chips and Rust
You should remove any paint chips and rusting from the wheels before you start painting. This will ensure that you get an even and smooth surface for painting.
You can start cleaning by using a wire brush and elbow grease for removing all the rust and paint chipping.
This should be followed by sanding the wheel surface first with a 300 grit sandpaper and then by using 500 grit sandpaper.
After this, you can wash the wheel and dry them for getting a smooth base for painting.
If you experience some more imperfections, the process should be repeated until you get the desired smoothness and consistency for painting.
Ensure Protection from Overspray
Before you start priming the wheels, you should take care to protect it from overspray.
The best way to do so is by using a painter’s tape which can be used to tape the edge of the tires.
You should put the tape between the wheel and the tire also to provide complete protection. Take another round of painter tape and cover the valve stem to prevent it from clogging.
Put the wheel on a flat and even surface to protect the areas underneath the wheel.
Spray the First Coat
You should now spray the first coat of primer. You should ideally use 2-3 coats of primer which prepares the wheel surface for painting.
It provides good bonding of the paint with a wheel and gives an excellent finishing while also protecting the wheel from rusting. You should allow the primer coat to dry before applying subsequent coats.
Painting the Wheels
Start painting the wheel by applying an even coat. It is important to follow the instructions on the paint can get the best results.
You should take care that you do not hold the paint can too close to the wheel while painting as it will cause the paint to run.
Ensure that the applied coat of paint is dry before spraying the next coat.
Apply the Top Coat
Once you have completed painting your wheels, then you should apply the top coat. 1-2 coats of paint should be used as the top coat.
The top coat will provide the desired finishing to your wheels.
Remove Overspray Protection and Install the Wheels
After you have finished painting your wheels, it is recommended to allow the paint to dry overnight.
Once the paint has completely dried, you can remove the overspray.
Start by removing the painter tape, newspaper, and any other items used as overspray. It is also important to remove the tape from the valve stem.
Now that you have removed the overspray, you can reinstall the wheels on your vehicle.
Precautions for Painting Wheels
You should follow the following precautions for getting the best results while painting your alloy wheels:
- Paint should be sprayed in a continuous side-to-side sweeping motion for getting a professional look.
- You should ensure that you have proper protective equipment and gear before painting the wheels. You should wear goggles specially designed for painting and working with potentially hazardous chemicals and tools to protect your eyes. You should also have several sets of protective gloves as they will be needed during painting the wheels.
- It is very important to prepare the wheels properly before painting. The wheels should be thoroughly cleaned for removing any dirt, grime, or other imperfections. This helps to prepare the wheel surface for getting the best quality paint finish.
- Sanding your wheel’s surface is an important preparatory activity before painting them. You should use good quality sandpaper with at least 350 grit or lower for preparing the wheel’s surface and getting a smooth finish which is so essential for painting them.
- You will need to spray at least 2-3 coats of paints on your wheel. To get an even and smooth finish, you should allow the paint coat to dry completely before applying the next coat.
- If you are planning to paint your wheels outside, then check the weather for doing so. Highly humid or windy conditions can lead to the rougher finish and also delay the painting work due to slowing down the paint’s drying times.